Last night , the most prestigious awards for all the national writers were held at Miekles hotel where the Zimbabwe Union of Journalists (ZUJ)under the National Journalists Arts and Merits Awards (NJAMA) 2014 awarded the nation`s top writers.
The minister of Gender and woman`s affairs Hon Oppah Muchinguri was the guest of honour and she deplored journalism which supports perpetrators of gender and violence against woman as unethical and downright pathetic.
TechnoMag`s editor in Chief , Mr Toneo Tonderai Rutsito who is also the founder of the Technology Magazine for the third time in a row walked away with the prestigious award under the ICT category.
By Wilson Mtetwa
Speaking to a news crew after the award, the editor said that he was so much humbled to be honoured and recognised for the hard work he has invested
“Its one thing to work all night yet its another to get some powerful organisations recognising and rewarding you for the work, this more than inspires us and fires up to keep on moving on.”
When asked how difficult it was for him to land the award consecutively, he said “technology is not just a topic i write about, I’m an expert in the trade, but simply doing it the other way round, instead I’m teaching the nation on issues that interests me and this gives a lot of satisfaction and i feel obliged to serve my nation”
Since 2012 , the TechnoMag editor has been defending the title, though last year there was no ICT category under the Njama awards, a title he holds by defacto. He is also the ICT reporter of the year 2013 under the ministry of ICT`s achievers awards.
To get the full list of all the winners, please see our LIVE TWEETS here
A total of 13 categories were being contested for including the news reporter of the year, sports journalist of the year, legal parliamentary reporter of the year, environment journalist of the year, arts and entertainment journalist of the year, agriculture journalist of the year, energy journalist of the year, health journalist of the year, child reporter of the year, best feature or documentary, business and financial reporter and ICT reporter of the year.
The full list of the winners is here:
- News Journalist of the Year Co-Sponsored by ZUJ/SEEDCO
Tendai Chikwavira – ZBC
- Business and Financial Journalist of the Year Sponsored by Schweppes Zimbabwe
John Kachembere- Daily News
- ICT Journalist of the Year sponsored by Netone
Tonderai Rutsito- Technomag/Herald
- Health Journalist of the Year Sponsored by Dr Solomon Guramatunhu
Richard Chidza –The Zimbabwe Mail
- Feature and Documentary Journalist of the Year Sponsored by Media Africa Group
Gibson Mhaka – Chronicle
- Agriculture Journalist of the Year sponsored by CBZ
Jairos Saunyama – The Zimbabwe Mail
- Sports Journalist of the Year Sponsored by FBC Bank
Farayi Machamire –Daily News
- ZESA Holdings Energy Journalist of the Year
Jeffrey Gogo- The Herald
- UNICEF Child Journalist of the Year
Tinashe Muchuri- The Parade
- Delta Corporation Arts and Entertainment Journalist of the Year
Winstone Antonio- Newsday
- Matsikidze and Mucheche Legal and Parliamentary Journalist of the Year
Veneranda Langa – NewsDay
- Zimplats Mining Journalist of the Year
Kenneth Matimaire – Pungwe News
- ZUJ/UNICEF Special Category for Child Reporters
- Nyaradzo Group Environment Journalist of the Year
Dumisani Nsingo- Sunday News
This truly adds another further on TechnoMag`s cap as they are about to unveil the first Hard copy technology magazine in Zimbabwe encompassing all technological, ICT, engineering amongst other topical issues.