Nigerians besiege mobile operators for Disconnection

Unregistered mobile phone subscribers have flooded network operators’ offices in Abuja at the weekend following the disconnection of their Subscriber Identity Module cards. Following the expiry of the June 30 deadline to register, the Nigerian Communication

Commission ordered the operators to disconnect such Sim cards.
NCC spokesman Tony Ojobo had earlier said the commission would sanction any network operators who failed to comply with directive.

At the Globacom office in Wuse II, a subscriber Odaro Uworuya told CAJ News that he had registered his Sim card but was disconnected on Saturday morning. He said he asked to re-register the card.

The MTN office in Maitama District was similarly overwhelmed.
Through the Sim card registration process, Nigeria aims to verify the identity of subscribers in order to combat crime.

Subscribers have, however, bemoaned the lack of capacity by operators and agents to properly carry out the process.
There are about 120 million mobile subscriptions in Nigeria, representing 75 percent of the West African country’s population. – CAJ News.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: