After releasing Windows 11 for developers last month, the stable version of the Windows 11 update is expected to roll out in October this year, as per the latest reports.
Microsoft Windows shaped up to be one of the biggest upgrades to the company’s popular Windows operating system, with many new features and performance improvements.
The new features :
- A new, more Mac-like interface. Windows 11 features a clean design with rounded corners, pastel shades and a and Taskbar.
- Integrated Android apps. and installable from within the new via the Amazon Appstore. (There were a couple of ways to access Android apps on Windows 10, including , but this will make it native.)
- Widgets. While they’ve been around for a while (remember desktop gadgets on Windows Vista?), including in a , you can now and personalize them to see whatever you’d like.
- Microsoft Teams integration. and will be integrated directly into the Windows 11 Taskbar, making it easier to access (and a bit more like Apple’s FaceTime). You’ll be able to access Teams from Windows, Mac, Android or iOS.
- Xbox tech for better gaming. , like Auto HDR and DirectStorage, to improve gaming on your Windows PC.
- Better virtual desktop support. Windows 11 will let you in a way that’s more similar to MacOS, toggling between multiple desktops for personal, work, school or gaming use.
- Easier transition from monitor to laptop, and better multitasking. The new OS includes features called Snap Groups and Snap Layouts — collections of the apps you’re using at once that sit in the Taskbar, and can come up or be minimized at the same time for easier task switching. They also let you plug and unplug from a monitor more easily without losing where your open windows are located.
To see if your current Windows 10 PC is eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 11, go to Microsoft’s website for a list of requirements.Windows 11 can be downloaded the same way you would any new version of Windows. Most users will go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and click Check for Updates. If available, you’ll see Feature update to Windows 11. Click Download and install.
The published system requirements for Windows 11 are as follows:
- Processor: 1 GHz or faster with two or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or system on a chip (SoC)
- RAM: at least 4 GB
- Storage: at least 64 GB of available storage
- Security: TPM version 2.0, UEFI firmware, Secure Boot capable
- Graphics card: Compatible with DirectX 12 or later, with a WDDM 2.0 driver
- Display: High definition (720p) display, 9″ or greater monitor, 8 bits per color channel