Apple CEO Tim Cook said on Monday that supply and demand for the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are “not on the same planet” and may not reach a balance until next year.
With a record-breaking first weekend sales of 10 million units in September, it was clear the iPhone 6 would be another hit for Apple. Apparently, sales are stronger than even Apple anticipated and the company has yet to balance supply with the huge groundswell of demand.
“We’re not nearly balanced, we’re not close, we’re not on the same planet,” Cook said. “That said, I’m really confident that supply is going to be great and that’s the reason you see incredibly strong guidance that we’re giving [for next quarter].”
For the three month period ending in September, Apple sold more than 39 million iPhones, a new quarterly record up from the previous watermark of 37.79 million units in 2013.
According to Apple, a look at regional iPhone distribution shows every country selling the handset tallied a marked increase in sales compared to the iPhone 5s. Specifically, the U.S. saw a 17 percent boost, while developed European countries enjoyed a 20 percent bump in sales. This added to burgeoning markets like Latin America and the Middle Ease, which notched a 50 percent increase in sales.
Cook said Apple is selling every iPhone 6 it makes. In China, for example, only 20 percent of iPhone 6 units sold are subsidized by carriers, with the remaining 80 percent going to customers paying full price. Cook sees this as an indicator of strong sales in the region, especially as the country rolls out new 4G network infrastructure.
Apple’s iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are now being sold in 69 countries and territories, the fastest and most successful rollout in the product’s history. The company plans to have its handset in 115 regions by the end of December.