Mobile network operator NetOne has issued an apology over the network service disruption that customers experienced yesterday.
Around midday yesterday Netone subscribers faced a network blackout , failing to access social media platforms and connect to the internet.
The mobile network operator issued an apology in a statement.
“ NetOne would like to apologise for intermittent data service experience on our network yesterday. Please note that normal service has been restored.”
Last week Friday Econet subscribers faced challenges and disruption in making calls , checking balance , accessing EcoCash , Econet said this was due to a technical challenge.
“We regret to inform you that we are currently experiencing a technical challenge that has affected some voice calls. As a result some of our customers are failing to initiate call. However, services such as data, SMS and EcoCash are working well,” Econet said in a statement.
To compensate for the disruptions customers on Sunday were offered 3free minutes on voice calls on econet to econet between 8pm and 9pm.
However , the network disruptions have raised fears that its another episode of the January 2019 protests were government shut down the internet in this case it could be to disrupt the planned July 31 demo.