The Computer Society of Zimbabwe has given birth to a new baby called Software Development Community. CSZ SDC is a community of software developers from different areas of specialties interacting together through multiple activities primarily to address issues to enhance economic development through software development.
By Tongai Mwenje
Announcing the birth of the new baby, Computer Society of Zimbabwe president Clifford Hapanyengwi expressed his joy towards the new initiative by local developers. “I am very happy that our local developers have come up with such an initiative which will give an opportunity for the graduates to showcase their developing skills”, he said.
We are now in a mobile environment where we need to enhance our developing and programming skills.
He also emphasized on the need for the Software Development Community to incorporate students from various learning institutions. “This is exciting and there is need to therefore encompass the students so that the SDC doesn’t die a natural death,” he added.
The purpose of the creation of CSZ SDC is driven by 2015 plan of the Computer Society of Zimbabwe; to engage in new projects and transform existing projects that promote development through Software development in Zimbabwe.
The objectives of this vehicle, CSZ SDC are as follows;
• Develop the discipline of Software Development in Zimbabwe
• Filling the software gap, enabling I.T acceptance within the community at large
• Foster and promote research and training of persons within the software development discipline in Zimbabwe.
• Promote proper conduct and set ethical standards for the discipline.
• Take a public position on matters of concern to the Software Development discipline.
Presenting the SDC document, one of the founding members of CSZ SDC Kuda Motsi said that the membership of Software Development Communality is open to anyone affiliated with CSZ. “Membership is open to CSZ members who are interested in the Software development field. Upon acceptance, a member will be able to enjoy various membership benefits provided by SDC”, Motsi said.
• Developers and researchers
• CSZ – Professional Development Programme
• General users
He also took us through the benefits which members would get along the way and also the activities lined up for the whole year.
Among other benefits includes; Participate in software development projects as software engineers / developers, Mentorship program by senior developers for learners and junior developers and Participate in SD research in association with higher learning.
The CSZ SDC yearly events line up is as follows;
• August: Career guidance/ meet the recruiters
• September: Developers day out
• October : Apps / Software Show case
• November: Programming Competitions
• December: Developers Formal Party
Hope this vehicle will achieve its objectives and be able to stand the test of time as its riding on a once tried and failed project.